Monday, October 28, 2013

Kids' Rooms & Mom

So, I think I've finally got both of the kids' rooms put together.  I ordered a glider today, bit that will come while I'm away in California, but that should be it.  I'm sure there will be little bits and pieces here and there, but I'm happy with their rooms and hopefully they will make them feel welcomed, loved and like they're finally home.

Ellie's room:

Emma's room:

 The Family Court (dependency hearing) is Thursday, October 31st at 8:30am.  This court date is what will allow the state of California to hand the case to the state of Georgia to clear us (Mike - my ex-husband, and Shane/Shelby's step-dad and me).  In a proactive attempt to move things along, I went ahead and paid the Georgia Sheriff's office for a background check (came back clean, of course) and Mike has printed his "good standing" paperwork from the Georgia and South Carolina Bars - which he is a member of, since graduating from Emory law school.  It would be nice if the court just let me go ahead and have Ellie.  That is basically what I'm going to plead for.

As I stated in the last blog, I was able to get a place to stay from October 30th until Shelby gives birth.   Since she's in custody, and will be giving birth while in custody, she's able to sign over a Power of Attorney for me to take the baby when she's born and bypass the whole bureaucratic process we're having to going through to get Ellie.  So, I'll be there until around the third week of November.

However, today I got a piece of bad news about my mom.  Looks like she's taken a turn for the worse and is having lots of seizures.  It's pretty severe that my aunt is having to go to the rehab (it's also a nursing home - just not allowed to call it that to mom) tomorrow and sign a DNR, as that is my mom's wishes.  Her health has declined to the point that it looks like my mom might not make it before I get back from California.  I hope this isn't the case.  I honestly don't know if I would be able to afford a flight back to Knoxville, if mom dies, and then a return flight to LA, to wait for the birth of the baby.  If mom does die while I'm away, I think I'd actually be okay not tending to her cremation services.  Mom has specifically stated that she does not want a funeral.  She wants her ashes spread in the Gulf of Mexico.

The problem will be the logistics of carrying out her will and taking care of her belongings - her apartment and so forth.  Luckily, she does have a will and has specifically assigned certain things to certain people, then leaving the rest to me and for me to distribute as I see fit.  I will need to talk to her landlords and see if they would be willing to work with me via time frame.

Then, I will need to work on getting out of my own condo.  We still haven't set a closing date, so that's good.  That buys me the most time.  Moving is expensive though, and takes a lot of time. much going on.  The things that keep me going are the thoughts of having Ellie and Emma here.  Getting to watch them smile.  Getting to watch them have a normal life.  Being able to love them, squeeze them and embarrass them with kisses in front of friends.

I'm thankful for Mike.  I'm thankful for all of my friends and family who have helped me get through this and get these rooms ready for these kids - donating items, labor, opinions, time, etc.  I'm thankful for Angela.  She helped me find a place to stay in California.  It truly does take a village.  I'm glad to be part of a good village.

No comments: