Saturday, October 19, 2013

Going back to Cali...


Got some great news yesterday: I've got a place to stay in California for three weeks.  That will allow me to attend an upcoming court date (October 31st) to try and Ellie, and also helps me be on the ground in LA, where all of this bureaucratic hell is taking place, interact with the authorities there and possibly see Ellie - and also stay until Shelby delivers the baby, which I already have Power Of Attorney over, so I can take the baby as soon as she's discharged from the hospital.  I feel so relieved that I'm going to be able to be there.  I've been going crazy over here trying to deal with things.  People won't return your call, the time difference, there's literally like seven different attorneys/social workers/authority figures involved in this case and I honestly don't think any of them talk to each other.  There's two different courts involved - family court (which deals with the dependents - currently Ellie) and criminal court (which, obviously, deals with the crime).  There are different court dates for each, different attorneys for each, family services, etcetera.  But a really great, long-time friend of mine was able to hook me up with housing so I can make it to the dependency hearing and stay until the birth.  This will save a lot of money, because I wasn't going to be able to make it to the hearing and the birth.  Now I can do both.

My next step is figuring out the best mode of transportation.  Driving or flying?  I'm gonna need a car while I'm there, renting one for three weeks could be pretty costly.  I could drive there, but driving back, with a newborn, is pretty insane.  I'mma think on it.  Research it.  See which is most cost-effective and factor in convenience and sanity.

Right now, I'm just feeling very grateful for having such wonderful friends.



So, I'm going back to Cali...but for slightly different reason than Biggie did, although there are probably some similarities...not on purpose though.


No comments: