Friday, September 15, 2006

My very first audition ever!!!!!!!

Hey, y'all.

Yesterday, I had my very first audition ever! I read for a part, Leah, in an indie movie titled "God is dead." Leah is not a main character in the movie but she does have a respectable presence. Plus, since I'm just now starting this acting thing, I'm no where near ready to try for an advanced role. I was SOOOO nervous! I tried to hide my nervousness--I don't know how well I pulled it off though. It was also very exciting.

I studied the sides (script) for Leah's part for a few days prior to the read. I had imagined that a conversation had already been going on when Leah begins speaking, so I began the scene with a little "can you believe this" laugh. I also felt like the other character that Leah was talking to (Leigh) wasn't really paying that close of attention to what Leah was saying, so I kinda didn't acknowledge Leigh's comments between the first couple of lines. I also felt like Leah should be a little underplayed--not a lot of emotion, but enough to show that she has character but it's gonna take a lot more to get it to come out.

Anyway, I walked into the room and there was the casting director and two other men sitting behind a table. The table had a monitor on it and both men had clip boards and other stuff. I brought in a headshot of myself, but it was homemade because I haven't had a professional headshot taken yet. I will be getting one though. The casting director took a photograph of me anyway (I didn't smile--why, I have no idea--I don't know what the hell's wrong with me). I also do not have a professional acting resume, so I wrote the casting director a little letter explaining that I was new to acting and just attached my regular resume to the letter. (I know, I'm such a dork.) There was a camera in the room and I had to look into the camera and state my name and the part for which I was reading. I started the reading and the casting director read the part of Leigh. The whole thing was over in a matter of minutes.

I have no idea what they thought of me. They said that they will have callbacks on Sunday. So, I guess I will find out today if they would like for me to come back in read again. If I don't get a call back at least I can say that I gave it shot. Plus, the film will need extras and so forth, so I might still have a chance of being in it--just not as Leah. That would still give me something to start my acting resume. I don't really know exactly what casting directors look for in a reading. I don't know if I gave them what they were looking for. I don't know if my interpretation of Leah was right or not. I don't even know if it matters. If anyone can shed some light on this for me I'd greatly appreciate it.

I do plan on taking acting classes and some improv classes too. That is also bound to help me. In any case, I had a great time and I plan on auditioning for roles as often as they come available. Wish me success!

Hugs!
--Paula

No comments: