Friday, June 11, 2010

Dear Cable/Satellite Companies:

So, the other day I read this article about how Hulu plans to start charging viewers. I'm so torn over how I should handle my viewing right now. So, what I'd like to do is customize my cable access by creating a personal viewing library. Since all of the shows I want to watch are available on some form or another to screen on my TV, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask to have it my way. I mean, if Burger King has all of the ingredients to make a burger the way I want it, and so does my cable TV provider, then........

So, I'd like to pay for the shows I want to watch. I don't want to subscribe to all of the channels I don't watch just to get a couple of the shows that I do watch. Honestly, where is the sense in that? I know some channels hope I will stumble upon a show, but I don't really work like that.

My proposal is simple. I'm willing to pay per TV show. I believe I should be able to subscribe to Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Dexter, and whatever else I want to watch, individually. The subscription can be done in two ways: by season or by episode. I'm willing to pay $5 per show per season for a cable show and $0.99 for a single episode. How should that be delivered to me you ask? The answer is simple - If the season is over, then I should be able to watch it all on demand at my leisure. If the season is currently in session, I should be able to watch them as they are aired and they should be available in my personal library immediately after airing.

I want access to all shows available for broadcast. If I want to watch one I am not subscribed to, then I want the option to pay for a single episode - to determine if I'd buy access to the season. Local broadcasting should be offered to me free of charge.

I will pay extra for HD service - a fixed monthly rate of $15. I will also pay to rent a DVR - a fixed monthly rate of $10. Based on the programs I wish to subscribe, renting a DVR and getting HD, my monthly bill should run me approximately $50 per month.

Next, I would like access to the internet by using my remote control. I am willing to pay $25 per month for internet access.

Lastly, I understand that cable channels make money via ad sales. The less programming I watch, the more difficult it is to make media buys. But you know what? So what. Maybe if channels had better programming they'd be able to sell better ads. In fact, if you really want to offer the viewer a service, offer channels for free - subsidized by ad buys.

So there you have it. Now, I'd like to have it my way.

No comments: