Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Articulation

I haven't blogged in a long time. I need to write more because I'm noticing that since I've cut down on my blogging, I'm having more difficulty expressing myself. I know some might object to that statement since I don't seem to have a problem sharing my opinion, so I'll clarify it this way -- articulately expressing myself. It's so much easier to express oneself in writing because the writer can take her time and edit craft statements and opinions. Verbal expression is much less thoughtful yet assigned the same weight.

Yesterday, I rented the first season of Twin Peaks. I know it came out in 1990, but for some reason I seemed to have not been involved with mainstream society in the late 80's and early 90's. I remember people talking about Twin Peaks, but I have no recollection of even having access to it. I've watched the first two episodes. The second one was very good - lots of great one-liners. The first episode started with a "previously on Twin Peaks" clip which I thought was odd since I'm watching the first season. Was there a movie or something that was a prequel to the TV show?

I also rented Fellini's "8 1/2." I recently watched Woody Allen's "Stardust Memories" and LOVED it! So, 8 1/2 was suggested to me. Eventually, I'd like to write a blog about the both of them.

I'll stop here. Hopefully this short post will give me the blogging jump start I need to pick up blogging on a regular basis again.

1 comment:

Delaney said...

"Verbal expression is much less thoughtful yet assigned the same weight."

This is so true. It is so easy to say something and be done with it. It is harder to sit down, write out what you are thinking, evaluate what you have written, edit, and write the final draft.

I am hoping to teach my students that written words are more important than verbal interactions. I keep every note, picture, card, etc that a student gives to me. I have a huge box that is filled with their words. From time to time, I take them out and read the notes, cards, letters, and words on the pictures again. Those words mean so much to me.

Anyway, in class I send notes and cards to each student in the mail each month. I've had parents tell me that their daughters sleep with all my notes under their pillows. I teach them to treasure written words through literature, their own personal writings, and that of their peers.

Ahhh, I so enjoy your blogs. You always give me so much to think about. I've missed them.

Me